St. Francis of Assisi once said - "preach the gospel always, use words only as necessary"
We seek to put the love of God we have experienced through Christ into action by the following and more! Examples include:
* Bread of Life: presence and ongoing support for this downtown ministry, that is more than a soup kitchen, that began in our church hall. Examples include helping to serve weekkend lunches, raising funds in support of the mission, hosting a Christmas Carol party, Polar Bear swim, feeding the community.
* Community Dinners: hosting a neighbourhood feast at Thanksgiving and Easter where all in our 'hood' are welcome at no cost to our guests.
* Truth & Reconciliation endeavors: acknowledging that we gather on the unceded territory of the Hupacasath and Tseshaht peoples, we seek as a congregation to grow in understanding as to what the truth of colonization is, and what we need to do to be a part of the reconciliation way with our Indigenous neighbours. In the past few months we have hosted workshops (Blanket Exercise and Building Bridges), public showings of pertinent movies and plan on organizing more.
* Read and Feed breakfast program: participating with other Alberni churches, Trinity members help to deliver this breakfast program in two Port Alberni schools. Nutritious food is provided. No hungry child is ever turned away.
* Sponsoring a Refugee family: we were delighted to help sponsor one family from Syria to Port Alberni and now we are looking ahead to the next family.
* Diocesan and Synod benevolence: as we are part of both the Diocese of British Columbia (Anglican) and the BC Synod ELCIC (Lutheran) we give a portion of our offerings to these regional bodies through which our contributions impact the wider world.
*Raising funds for an orphanage in Tanzania and students in Zambia. These are both ongoing, perennial initiatives of our congregation that have changed not only the lives of those receiving the support, but those are offering it.
* Neighbourhood potluck and gathering. in our community hall, we at Trinity facilitate a gathering of whomever in the neighbourhood to eat together, grow in relationship, and discover common cause for making Port Alberni a better place for all to live. Next gathering is at the end of August.