St. Francis of Assisi once said - "preach the gospel always, use words only as necessary"
We seek to put the love of God we have experienced through Jesus the Christ into action by the following and more! Examples include:
* Truth & Reconciliation endeavors: acknowledging that we gather on the unceded territory of the Hupacasath and Tseshaht peoples, we seek as a congregation to grow in understanding as to what the truth of colonization is, and what we need to do to be a part of the reconciliation way with our Indigenous neighbours. We have hosted various speakers to share their stories at worship services, workshops (Blanket Exercise and Building Bridges), public showings of pertinent movies and plan on organizing more. Recently we collected funds in support of the Tseshaht Memorial to remember the children who attended the Alberni Indian Residential School, particularly those who never made it home.
* Help in the Gap: working with the local midwife, we provide the funds for immediate needs experienced by impoverished pregnant women and new moms.
* The Little Book Kiosk: During Covid, this little library at the front of the church has been, as we've been told, a god-send for many a person in the wider community. The books come from all over and people take what the need, and share what they can.
* Starting soon!!!! Trinity Community Fridge: in the same spirit of “Take what you need, Share what you can:, we are joining a North American strong community program of providing food 24/7 for those who need it. Our all fridge will soon be installed and inside, folk can donate and discover fresh fruit and veggies, canned goods and unperishables.
* Food drives for the Food Bank: at various times of the year, Trinity folk share from their bounty to give to our local Food Bank.
*Mitten Tree and Tub of Socks: Through the season of Advent, a tree is put up at Trinity that people can decorate with winter scarves, hats, gloves and mitts that are given to ACAWS, our local community shelter for abused women and children. The tub is for socks which are donated to the Bread of Life.
* Read and Feed breakfast program : Trinity members help to deliver this breakfast program in two Port Alberni schools. Nutritious food is provided. No hungry child is ever turned away.
* Sponsoring a Refugee family: we have been able to assist in the sponsoring of two families from overseas to Port Alberni and now we are looking ahead to the next family from Afghanistan.
* Community Dinners: pre-Covid we annually hosted a neighbourhood feast at Thanksgiving and Easter where all in our 'hood' wer welcome at no cost to our guests. We are trying to figure out how we can do something of this nature in the future once more.
* Diocesan and Synod benevolence: as we are part of both the Diocese of British Columbia (Anglican) and the BC Synod ELCIC (Lutheran) we give a portion of our offerings to these regional bodies through which our contributions impact the wider world, both within and beyond our national borders.